Title: Help Desk Technician
Full-time: Non-Exempt Status
Division: Data and Technology Services
Reports To: Systems Administrator
- Assists end-users with technical questions.
- Assists the Systems Administrator with various technical projects.
- Performs a wide variety of special project work.
Support for UH Foundation Staff/Users
- Provide assistance for end-user questions, doing research and performing issue escalation as necessary.
- Configuration and maintenance of all end-user equipment, including desktop computers, notebook computers, monitors and printers.
- Installation and configuration of operating system software, including maintaining software patches and fixes.
- Researches, recommends, supports, tests, and maintains computer software applications needed by Foundation staff to accomplish their daily tasks.
- Advises and assists users in evaluating and selection appropriate computer hardware and software for purchases and upgrades.
- User account creation, maintenance and termination. Provide training to new staff and student employees.
- Configure and maintain mobile devices.
- Basic network troubleshooting. Monitor the status of UH Manoa network through the UH ITS status page.
- Maintain equipment inventory.
- Provide after-hours technical assistance for Foundation events.
- Prepares and teaches training classes as required.
- Write and revise technical documents.
- Keep current on the latest technological events by research and attending training.
- Perform other work duties as assigned.
Technical Support for Systems Administrator
- Assist the Systems Administrator with systems projects, including server maintenance/upgrades/troubleshooting.
- Assist with networking projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal) are required as this position will interact with UH Foundation staff, and occasionally with external parties, such as hardware/software vendor support staff.
- Self-motivated and able to respond to high-pressure situations. Able to take action and progress with minimal direction. Ability to think outside the box to be able to troubleshoot issues outside of current knowledge.
- A positive attitude and excellent human relations skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office and highly proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Associate degree, technical diploma or 2 years of relevant experience
- Two years of experience with computer hardware troubleshooting and upgrades.
- 2 years of experience with Microsoft operation systems (Windows 7+).
- Knowledge of PC applications and software, including the Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with general networking concepts.
- Experience with servers and server configuration helpful.
- Experience with Apple Mac hardware and software helpful.
- Must possess technical-savvy in order to work on a variety of different projects requiring technical assistance and set-up.
Exemplify and live the values of the UH Foundation (accountability, excellence, integrity, service, teamwork and trust);
At the end of each fiscal year, the Help Desk Technician and his/her supervisor will review progress toward the essential functions of the position.
Based at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, the position may require travel, mostly by auto, but occasionally by other modes of transportation, and can occasionally require over night and weekend stays. The Help Desk Technician may need to work some evenings and weekends and must be able to work to the demands of the position, which may exceed a 40 hour work week.