WEST OʻAHU — The Schuler Family Foundation has donated $20,000 to the University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu to create the Schuler Family Foundation Scholarship. This new scholarship will increase access to UHWO by providing support to high school graduates of Campbell, Kapolei, Nānākuli and Waiʻanae High Schools who wish to attain a quality university college degree without having to leave their community or home.
"With this scholarship, the Schuler Family Foundation is helping provide the support necessary to strengthen and improve the quality of life for island residents, their families and their communities through higher education, " said Gene Awakuni, Chancellor, University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu. "We are most grateful for their support. "
Criteria for recipients:
- Full-time, undergraduate enrolled at the University of Hawaiʻi West Oʻahu.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Preference given to high school graduates of Kapolei, Campbell, Waiʻanae and Nānākuli High Schools.
- Preference given to recipients who demonstrate participation in community service activities, including volunteering for organizations or programs serving the West Oʻahu community.
- Some degree of financial need, not as determined by federal guidelines.
"The new University of Hawaiʻi — West Oʻahu campus will be a premiere learning facility for the entire community, and we are thrilled to contribute to making quality, higher education available for West Oʻahu students," said Mike Jones, representative from Schuler Family Foundation and president, D.R. Horton – Schuler Division. "With our Hoʻopili community right next door to the new campus, we are looking forward to being part of the vibrant and growing East Kapolei community."
For more information on how you can support UH West Oʻahu please contact Mariko Miho at (808) 956-7983 or Mariko.Miho@uhfoundation.org. You can also make a gift online at www.uhfoundation.org/GiveToUHWestOahu.