Title: Annual Giving and Special Events Coordinator, UH Mānoa Athletics
Status: Full-Time: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Associate Athletics Director – Philanthropic Partnerships
The Annual Giving and Special Events Coordinator, UH Mānoa Athletics is responsible for providing administrative support to facilitate the fundraising work of the Associate Athletics Director – Philanthropic Partnerships. Key responsibilities include providing fund development, account management and administrative support.
Specific responsibilities and performance expectations include:
- Works closely with the UH Mānoa Athletics Department (“UHMAD”) leadership and coaches in their campaign priorities and efforts as established by the Athletics Director and as directed by supervisor.
- Create and maintain prospect/donor files, as well as other development office files.
- Assist in the development and distribution of various types of donor communication including working with all UHMAD leadership and coaches in recognizing donor gifts.
- Enter, maintain, and retrieve information from the development database.
- Conduct or obtain from the University of Hawai‘i Foundation (UHF) Office of Development Research on donors, generate briefings, gift summaries, fundraising reports, prospect and other targeted lists.
- Prepare development correspondence, acknowledgments, proposals and other written materials.
Event and Program Support
- Assist in the planning and execution of Athletics based donor events not directly handled by the UH Foundation Special Events Department
- Manage and coordinate larger team of staff and volunteers to develop and implement strategic donor and regional engagement events and programs.
- Manage event organization to include: event concept; venue and vendor research, selection and procurement; maintain and manage event budget(s); event logistics and site coordination; communication of event details; managing event registration; coordinate and manage volunteer support; and other aspects related to event preparation and execution.
Annual Giving Support
- Under the leadership of the Athletics Director or his Designee and the Associate Athletics Director for Philanthropic Partnerships, manage the development, implementation and administration of a department-wide annual giving strategies and initiatives in collaboration with UHF Annual Giving staff. Generate increasing levels and numbers of gifts from alumni and friends through effective annual giving solicitations.
- Plan, develop and monitor annual giving budget to support the strategy; ensure maximum cost-benefit ratio achieved.
- Remain up-to-date on current fund raising, direct marketing and volunteer management programs, technology, practices and procedures being used in the not-for-profits sector as well as current tax law affecting annual charitable giving.
- Serves as an interface and resource between account administrators and supervisor.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with account administrators (UHAD leadership, coaches and staff) thorough proactive communication, and providing prompt and accurate service.
- Provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns and requests about UHF accounts. Assist in opening, revising and closing accounts. Assist in revising existing accounts so account administrators can better utilize the funds.
- Educate account administrators in using IFAS.
- Generate reports for UHAD account administrators, coaches, and leadership.
- Coordinate data requests between coaches and Data and Technology Services.
- Develop call and in-person meeting cycle with coaches to discuss UHF account concerns.
- Responsible for the smooth functioning of the UHAD Development Office.
- Organize and facilitate meetings; schedule and coordinate dates and times, venues, attendance, agenda, and facilities; and provide administrative support and follow-up on matters arising from meetings.
- Oversee fiscal matters, including gift processing, assisting in preparation of fundraising projections and reports, reimbursement requests, requisitions and purchase orders.
- Coordinate travel schedules, make travel arrangements, and prepare travel briefings.
- Regularly deal with diverse matters requiring a broad knowledge of the UH Foundation’s organizational operations and policies necessary to ensure appropriate decision-making protocols are followed.
- Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Immediately advise supervisor if there is reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees or students, have occurred or will occur.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
At the end of each year, the Annual Giving and Special Events Coordinator and his/her supervisor will review progress toward the essential functions of the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in annual and event fundraising in a corporate or educational or non-profit organization, with proven success in the following:
- Exemplify and live the values of the UH Foundation (accountability, excellence, integrity, service, teamwork and trust;
- Professional, self-starter and team player;
- Highly organized, able to multi-task;
- Ability to respond to high pressure situations;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, mail merge functions, and database and records management;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Sensitivity to confidential information;
- Broad-based knowledge and skills related to advancement and fundraising in higher education.
Based at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa campus, the position might involve some travel, mostly by auto. Employee must have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record. The employee will need to work some weekends and evenings and able to work to the demands of the position, which may exceed a 40 hour work week.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest that provides evidence of the qualifications, a resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Hawai‘i Foundation, Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 11270
Honolulu, HI 96828-0270
f: (808) 956-9786
Our application form is a fillable pdf, please download and save the application to your computer before filling it out.Application Form
The University of Hawaiʻi and the University of Hawaiʻi Foundation
The primary purpose of the University of Hawaiʻi's ten-campus system is to provide an environment in which faculty and students can discover, examine critically, preserve, and transmit the knowledge, wisdom, and values that will help ensure the survival of the present and future generations with improvement in the quality of life.
The University of Hawaiʻi Foundation, a nonprofit organization, raises private funds to support the University of Hawaiʻi System. Our mission is to unite donors' passions with the University of Hawaiʻi's aspirations by raising philanthropic support and managing private investments to benefit UH, the people of Hawaiʻi and our future generations.
The University of Hawai‘i Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.