Title: Assistant Controller
Department: Fiscal Services
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Controller
This position will assist in the financial management and reporting functions of the University of Hawaii Foundation.
- Responsible for the monthly financial statements closing process and preparation of the monthly financial reports.
- Researches budget and prior period variances.
- Prepares reports to Board of Trustees and other reports as requested.
- Prepares, processes, and records investment transactions, and investment reports. Updates investment worksheets, i.e. asset allocation, unrealized gains and losses.
- Responsible for posting quarterly endowment payout, fee and adjusting entries.
- Calculates quarterly endowment market value.
- Responsible for investment capital calls
- Prepares, processes, and records quarterly endowment purchase transactions
- Prepares and coordinates the preparation of schedules for the annual audit.
- Prepares the annual Nonprofit Tax return (Form 990) and supporting schedules.
- Prepare annual Business Filing with the Dept. of Commerce.
- Responsible for preparing annual statement of cash flows, pledge receivable analysis and other year end schedules.
- Prepare recurring and one-time journal entries.
- Responsible for coordination of selling stock gifts and calculating gift value.
- Reviews and approves monthly bank reconciliation.
- Assists in reviewing journal entries prepared by other department personnel.
- Assists with creating & modifying internal financial reports.
- Provides Help Desk support to users of online financial reporting system.
- Perform supervisory duties and other tasks as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- CPA and/or Public Accounting experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Five years related work experience and supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures and financial statements required.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision to ensure accurate, complete and timely accomplishment of assignments.
- Must be able to multitask.
- Strong analytical, numerical, reasoning abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficient in Word and Excel.
- Must be results-oriented, quality-driven and team oriented.
- Exemplify and live by the values of the UH Foundation (teamwork, accountability, service, trust, integrity and excellence).
Based at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa campus, the position might involve some travel, mostly by auto. Employee must have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record. The employee will need to work some weekends and evenings and able to work to the demands of the position, which may exceed a 40 hour work week.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest that provides evidence of the qualifications, a resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to: email@example.com
University of Hawai‘i Foundation, Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 11270
Honolulu, HI 96828-0270
f: (808) 956-9786
Our application form is a fillable pdf, please download and save the application to your computer before filling it out.Application Form
The University of Hawaiʻi and the University of Hawaiʻi Foundation
The primary purpose of the University of Hawaiʻi's ten-campus system is to provide an environment in which faculty and students can discover, examine critically, preserve, and transmit the knowledge, wisdom, and values that will help ensure the survival of the present and future generations with improvement in the quality of life.
The University of Hawaiʻi Foundation, a nonprofit organization, raises private funds to support the University of Hawaiʻi System. Our mission is to unite donors' passions with the University of Hawaiʻi's aspirations by raising philanthropic support and managing private investments to benefit UH, the people of Hawaiʻi and our future generations.
The University of Hawai‘i Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.