Title: Associate Director of Special Events – Alumni and Regional Engagement
Department: Special Events
Status: Full‐time, Exempt
Reports To: Director of Special Events
The Associate Director of Special Events – Alumni and Regional Engagement is responsible for the development, coordination, implementation, and evaluation of events and programs for the UH Foundation. These programs will connect alumni, donors and friends to the University of Hawai‘i System (UH). The position will manage events from pre-planning through post event follow up within Hawai‘i, across the United States and internationally. This position will work closely with various UHF and UH staff including and not limited to alumni engagement, athletics, and leadership to create experiential events that encourage engagement with the UH System.
- Work as part of larger team to develop and implement strategic alumni and regional engagement events and programs.
- Manage event organization to include: event concept; venue and vendor research, selection and contracting; maintain and manage event budget(s); event logistics and site coordination; communication of event details; managing event registration; coordinate and manage volunteer support; and other aspects related to event preparation and execution.
- Manage special programs from concept to implementation. Develop programs in alignment with UH and/or UHF initiatives. Experiential programs with meaningful outcomes aiding in developing attendees into brand ambassadors for UH. This includes, but is not limited to, propose, produce, budget, direct and coordinate programs; program content; communication strategy; coordination with stakeholders; and implementation of program to attain desired purpose and outcomes. Ensure program goals are clear, have been approved, and measure program outcomes and report on results at the conclusion of each program.
- Support and manage the development, organization and distribution of various types of alumni/donor/event communication: invitations design, creation and communication strategy/distribution; researching and extracting appropriate data; designing and maintaining on-line event registration; and addressing special requests. Prepare program materials, event briefings, biographical data for key attendees, prep speakers, signage, and other essentials to ensure staff and constituents are equipped and prepared for the event/program.
- Manage and maintain timely and accurate event information and maintenance in client/donor database (UHF’s Makana).
- Work closely with the Director of Special Events and UHF team members on establishing an annual calendar of potential events/programs.
- Represent the Foundation and the department in a positive manner internally, to the university, and to the community.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external parties.
- Manage and engage volunteers to help in executing events/programs ensuring volunteers understand event/program goals in support of UH, are aligned with those goals, and have a gratifying experience and feel appreciated.
- Manage, hire, and supervise student assistants to assist in achieving program goals.
- May perform other duties as assigned
The Associate Director will meet annually with his/her supervisor to put in place a plan for the year. At the end of each year, the Associate Director and his/her supervisor will review progress toward the annual goals.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three years of combined successful experience in event management, alumni relations, non-profit management, business development or relevant field with a proven record of accomplishment in program development and event management.
- Professional, self-starter and team player who takes initiative.
- Proven team leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with constituents.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills are necessary, with a philosophy of teamwork and hands on implementation.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and follow-through.
- Skill in recruiting, training, and effectively managing and directing staff and volunteers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel; PowerPoint; social media and internet/web based applications.
- A willingness and ability to travel in and out of state is required.
- Sensitivity to confidential information.
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Exemplify and live the values of the UH Foundation (accountability, excellence, integrity, service, teamwork and trust).
The individual must be collaborative, inclusive, transparent and work as a partner with UHF staff, volunteers, and the UH community locally and globally. Highly visible, articulate, passionate about their work and driven for success. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Honesty, integrity and treating others with respect is a requirement. Respectful of donor privacy, have a thorough grasp of the complexity and impacts of a large research university, analyze data effectively, and ideally have a good sense of humor. Attentive listener, and a good communicator. Fosters positive working relationships and conducts themselves professionally both internally and externally.
Based at the University of Hawai‘i Foundation, located on University of Hawaii Mānoa campus, the position will involve travel. Domestic and possible international travel, subject to overnight and weekend stays. Most travel will be by auto, but occasionally by other modes of transportation. Employee must have a valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record and passport for international travel. This position at times requires extensive evening and weekend work and the employee must be able to work to the demands of the position, which may exceed a 40 hour work week. Heavy lifting up to 40 lbs. may be required at times.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest that provides evidence of the qualifications, a resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Hawai‘i Foundation, Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 11270
Honolulu, HI 96828-0270
f: (808) 956-9786
Our application form is a fillable pdf, please download and save the application to your computer before filling it out.Application Form