Title: Help Desk Technician
Department: Data and Technology Services
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt At-Will Employment
Reports To: Systems Administrator
- Assists end-users with technical questions.
- Assists the Systems Administrator with various technical projects.
- Performs a wide variety of special project work.
Support for UH Foundation Staff/Users
- Provide assistance for end-user questions, doing research and performing issue escalation as necessary.
- Configuration and maintenance of all end-user equipment, including desktop computers, notebook computers, monitors and printers.
- Installation and configuration of operating system software, including maintaining software patches and fixes.
- Researches, recommends, supports, tests, and maintains computer software applications needed by Foundation staff to accomplish their daily tasks.
- Advises and assists users in evaluating and selection appropriate computer hardware and software for purchases and upgrades.
- User account creation, maintenance and termination.
- Provide training to new staff and student employees.
- Configure and maintain mobile devices.
- Basic network troubleshooting. Monitor the status of UH Manoa network through the UH ITS status page.
- Maintain equipment inventory.
- Provide after-hours technical assistance for Foundation events.
- Prepares and teaches training classes as required.
- Write and revise technical documents.
- Keep current on the latest technological events by research and attending training.
- Perform other work duties as assigned.
Technical Support for Systems Administrator
- Assist the Systems Administrator with systems projects, including server maintenance/upgrades/troubleshooting.
- Assist with networking projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal) are required as this position will interact with UH Foundation staff, and occasionally with external parties, such as hardware/software vendor support staff.
- Self-motivated and able to respond to high-pressure situations. Able to take action and progress with minimal direction. Ability to think outside the box to be able to troubleshoot issues outside of current knowledge.
- A positive attitude and excellent human relations skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office and highly proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Two years of experience with computer hardware troubleshooting and upgrades.
- 2 years of experience with Microsoft operation systems (Windows 7+).
- Knowledge of PC applications and software, including the Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with general networking concepts.
- Experience with servers and server configuration helpful.
- Experience with Apple Mac hardware and software helpful.
- Must possess technical-savvy in order to work on a variety of different projects requiring technical assistance and set-up.
The Help Desk Technician will meet annually with his/her supervisor to put in place a plan for the year. This plan will include specific goals for each of the basic responsibility categories, as well as program and professional development goals. At the end of each year, the Technician and his/her supervisor will review progress toward the annual goals.
Based at our central office, located at 1314 S. King Street, Honolulu, HI. The Technician may need to visit areas of the University campus, as well as locations in and around O‘ahu. Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record. The Technician may need to work weekends or evenings or exceed a 40 hour work week to fulfill the demands of the position. The Technician must be able and willing to travel interisland upon request.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest that provides evidence of the qualifications, a resume, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Hawai‘i Foundation, Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 11270
Honolulu, HI 96828-0270
f: (808) 748-0727
Our application form is a fillable pdf, please download and save the application to your computer before filling it out.Application Form
The University of Hawaiʻi and the University of Hawaiʻi Foundation
The primary purpose of the University of Hawaiʻi's ten-campus system is to provide an environment in which faculty and students can discover, examine critically, preserve, and transmit the knowledge, wisdom, and values that will help ensure the survival of the present and future generations with improvement in the quality of life.
The University of Hawaiʻi Foundation, a nonprofit organization, raises private funds to support the University of Hawaiʻi System. Our mission is to unite donors' passions with the University of Hawaiʻi's aspirations by raising philanthropic support and managing private investments to benefit UH, the people of Hawaiʻi and our future generations.
The University of Hawai‘i Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.