Ways to Give

Outright Gifts

An outright gift is one that immediately benefits the University of Hawaiʻi and its students. Cash, real estate, securities, and other assets can be given outright. You may specify where you would like your gift to go, or designate your gift to the "Fund for Excellence" and support the student callers who work to raise private gifts on behalf of the 10 campuses of the UH System.


Cash gifts include checks, drafts, and money orders. If your gift is mailed to the Foundation before the end of the calendar year and you itemize when doing your taxes, you're eligible for an income tax deduction for that year. Gifts of cash are deductible for up to 50% of your adjusted gross income. Cash contributions that exceed the deduction limit may be carried over and deducted in the following five tax years. For more information, contact Dale Hagadone at (808) 956-7357 or Dale.Hagadone@UHFoundation.org.


Crowdfunding is the collection of funds from a multitude of backers/supporters—the “crowd”—to fund an initiative and usually occurs on Internet platforms. Currently the only approved crowdfunding platform for official University of Hawai’i system giving opportunities is indiegogo.com

Payroll Deductions

University of Hawaiʻi employees may also to make gifts via payroll deductions. Download the salary assignment form and send completed forms to the UH Foundation, PO Box 11270, Honolulu, HI 96828-0270, Attn: Data Processing.

Matching Gifts

Double your impact! Many employers will match your gift to the University of Hawaiʻi. If your company has a matching gift policy, please contact your Human Resources department to obtain your matching gift form.

Real Estate

Almost any marketable real estate (home, vacation property, land, rental property, other real estate) may be gifted to the Foundation, provided the property is unencumbered. Real estate accepted outright by the Foundation is immediately sold so the proceeds can benefit the university's students, faculty, and programs.

A gift of real estate may entitle you to a charitable deduction of the full fair market value of the property. For gifts of long-term, appreciated real estate the deduction limit is 30% of adjusted gross income with a five-year carry-over period for the excess. You can also bypass capital gains tax on the property.

To learn more, please visit Estate and Gift Planning, call (808) 956-8034, or email Lani Starkey, JD, LLM, CPA, Associate Vice President, Principal Gifts and Estate and Gift Planning or Michael Coppes, JD, Director of Estate and Gift Planning.


The donation of stocks and bonds are an effective way for our donors to support our university and students.

Long-term, appreciated securities are those you've owned for more than one year and have increased in value. Such a gift would entitle you to a federal income tax deduction for the full fair market value of the securities on the date of the gift, up to a maximum deduction of 30% of your adjusted gross income for the year if you itemize deductions.

Short-term securities are those you’ve held for less than one year. If you itemize, you will be entitled to a federal income tax deduction for only the purchase price of the securities.

Depreciated securities are those that have declined in value since you bought them. To gain maximum tax benefits from the gift, it is normally recommended that the donor sell these, take the tax loss, and donate the cash proceeds.

To make a gift of stock to benefit the University of Hawaiʻi, please instruct your broker to transfer the stock to:
Merrill LynchAttn:
Carolyn Lee
Pauahi Tower Penthouse1001 Bishop Street
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96813
Phone # (808) 525-8320

DTC 5198
Account name: University of Hawaiʻi Foundation (Account #20M-04015)

In the instructions to Merrill Lynch, please ask your broker to mention:

  • The name of the stock.
  • The number of shares being transferred.
  • Any special instructions for the use of the gift (program/unit, President's Club membership, unrestricted gift, special scholarship, etc.).

Please send a copy of these instructions to Ryan Lucina, UH Foundation, P.O. Box 11270, Honolulu, Hawaiʻi 96828, or fax them to (808) 956-9786, so your gift can be properly credited and acknowledged.

To learn more, please visit Estate and Gift Planning, call (808) 956-8034, or email Lani Starkey, JD, LLM, CPA, Associate Vice President, Principal Gifts and Estate and Gift Planning or Michael Coppes, JD, Director of Estate and Gift Planning.

Other Assets

If you would like information on gifts of other assets please contact Lani Starkey, JD, LLM, CPA, Associate Vice President, Principal Gifts and Estate and Gift Planning (808) 956-8994 or Michael Coppes, JD, Director of Estate and Gift Planning (808) 956-3589.

Additional Giving Information

Memorial and Honorary Gifts

A gift in memory of someone is a powerful way to perpetuate the values and ideals that guided someone’s life - even after they have passed.

Honorary gifts commemorate a significant event or someone who is still alive.

You can make a gift in someone’s memory/honor by supporting any established account. In the “special instructions” section, please let us know who you are honoring/making the gift in memory of.

We will let the appropriate family members/colleagues know about your gift, but will keep the gift amount private.

Please contact Terri Alvaro, director of donor relations at terri.alvaro@uhfoundation.org if you have any questions.

A small portion of all gifts to the University of Hawaiʻi Foundation is used to defray the cost of administering and raising private funds for the University of Hawaiʻi.