What is the difference between an endowed scholarship and an annual scholarship?
- Endowed Scholarships create a permanent fund. Contributions are prudently invested to ensure the scholarship retains its value in perpetuity, and the scholarships created by the endowment are funded through the income generated by the endowment.
- Annual Scholarships reflect a donor's commitment to support a scholarship for a specific number of years.
May I name a scholarship?
A donor may name the scholarship when the amount given meets the minimum funding requirements for an annual or endowed scholarship. Scholarships are often named after the donor, company, organization or to honor parents, professors or other important people in one's life. Alternatively, donors may choose to give to existing scholarship funds in the department or school of their choice.
May I have input into the selection of a recipient?
Scholarship donors may specify base criteria to be used when selecting the recipient. University representatives from the appropriate academic department use those criteria when choosing student recipients.
The UH Foundation strives to create opportunities for donors and scholarship recipients to meet. Many donors feel profound personal satisfaction when they meet the students whose education they made possible, and students are often eager to thank and meet their benefactor.
There are a number of ways to set up a scholarship: an outright gift may be made via check or credit card. There may be significant tax benefits if the gift is made using appreciated securities, by establishing a charitable trust, or by giving real property. Will bequests can also be used to create opportunities for students. The UH Foundation is here to assist you with those options. Please contact Malia Peters, Director of Scholarship Development at Malia.Peters@uhfoundation.org or call (808) 956-6311.
UH Foundation staff will work with you to create a customized written gift agreement. The agreement reflects the purpose of the scholarship and recipient criteria as determined by you. The agreement outlines the responsibilities of the UH Foundation and the University of Hawaiʻi in awarding the scholarship.
- Annual report from the Scholarship Development Office notifying you of the recipient(s) of your scholarship each academic year.
- All recipients are encouraged to send a letter of thanks which are forwarded by UH Foundation to their donor(s).
- Invitation to the respective campus and/or college annual scholarship reception where donors and recipients will have the opportunity to meet and form a meaningful relationship.
- For endowed funds, all donors receive an annual endowment report on the financial status of their fund. In addition, there is peace of mind that the fund will provide perpetual support for students according to the intended purpose.
- All scholarships are advertised on the UH Foundation website and by the respective university campus or college.
- Opportunities to engage with University and UH Foundation leadership, faculty, and staff through various campus, college, and foundation activities and events.
- All scholarship gifts are tax deductible.
- There is no greater gift than the opportunity for a student to pursue their dreams through higher education.