ENGAGING OUR COMMUNITY
The university is its community, and its community is the university
The University of Hawai‘i remembers always it is the university of Hawai‘i’s people — as much a part of our communities as summer bon dances at the local temple.
UH campuses welcome their neighbors to ceramics classes and volleyball games. They reach into our neighborhoods with meals for children and concerts in the park. More than merely a partnership, the university’s relationship with island residents is special, an unbreakable bond characterized by mutually beneficial programs:
- Athletics programs strive for excellence on the fields of play and in the lives of students.
- Lifelong learning programs improve our lives while creating a healthy, sustainable future for Hawai‘i’s residents.
- Arts and culture experiences, such as plays, concerts, exhibits and courses help build community ties.
- Outreach centers make education and enrichment accessible even in remote communities.
Giving opportunities include:
- UH Maui College: Maui Language Institute
- Honolulu CC: Music and Entertainment Learning Experience (MELE)
- Windward CC: Palikū Theatre and Hōkūlani Imaginarium
- Kapi‘olani CC: Koa Gallery
- UH West O‘ahu: ‘Ulu‘ulu: The Henry Ku‘ualoha Giugni Moving Image Archive of Hawai‘i
- UH Mānoa: CTAHR GENE-ius Day program
- Leeward CC: Leeward Theatre and the new Hō‘ikeākea Gallery
- Hawai‘i CC: Summer Youth Academy
- UH Libraries
UH Foundation’s philanthropic partners support arts, culture, athletics and lifelong learning — for UH and for Hawai‘i.